At 5:53 AM this morning I was woken up to the voice of a man singing from a speaker. He was singing some sort of chant. I looked around and saw an unfamiliar room. “Where in the world (literally) am I?” was my first thought. Then all of a sudden everything from the last 48 hours came flooding back to me and I realized the voice coming over the speaker was none other than the call to prayer.
I boarded an airplane on Tuesday morning along with 83 other strangers. Together we flew to New York City then to Tel Aviv. All the while getting little or no sleep. By the time we reached Israel all of us were a little on the delirious side, excited, and much more bonded than we were at the beginning.
We got off the plane and boarded the buses that took us to the BYU Jerusalem Center. When we first saw the Dome of the Rock it was surreal. We pulled up to the center and I couldn’t believe it. I was finally at the place I’d only seen pictures of. But there I was—in real life. We were greeted by the friendly staff and served the best assortment of juices I’ve ever had. (I’ve had to lessen my grapefruit juice intake ‘cause I got a lil too excited the first few meals and now I have a conquer sour L)
The BYU Jerusalem Center is more beautiful than I could have ever thought. I kept saying to myself, “How is this happening to me right now?” We were gathered in a room with walls of glass that overlook the city of Jerusalem. Despite the fact that we had all been awake for the past 24 hours, our eyes stared wide open as we watched—for the first time—the sun set over the city of Jerusalem. It was indescribable. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get used to it.
This morning we went on a field trip around East Jerusalem, the Old City and West Jerusalem. There was so much to take in! I can’t wait to spend my free time exploring it all. (and visiting that yogurt land I saw…J who knows if it is the same yogurt land they have in America? All I know is I saw a yogurt land and that made me very, very happy.)
I am here, Jerusalem. Finally.
3 comments:
I am so excited for you! Have so much fun Sarah. Keep us all updated!
blast. i am so jealous!
I love this! I'm so glad you are having a good time, and that there is yogurtland there :)
Post a Comment