1.28.2012

xTax Champions

Last year's winning team (the two on the left were on my team this year)

If you would have told my dietetic-major self one year ago that I’d be apart of a national championship accounting team I would have laughed in your face. Hard. At the time—not only was I planning on being a dietician—but I was dreading my accounting 200 class. Plus—bless my heart—I’m a terrible public speaker.

Last October I competed in an accounting competition because I wanted to do something that would take me out of my comfort zone and knew it would help me with getting into the BYU accounting program. My team and I spent loooong hours in the Tanner Building. I memorized and practiced my presentation so many times I think my roommates almost went crazy. I finally felt like I was contributing at BYU and could hold my own against all of the other overachievers at my university.

My team ended up winning at BYU. A month-in-a-half later we discovered that our team was chosen as one of the national finalists. Which meant a free trip to DC come January (let me tell you, DC has a special place in my heart . I interned there last summer). Except too bad for the SJ because I’d be in Jerusalem during the championship in January.  I was super bumbed about it, but then realized :how lucky of a person am I if my hardest trial at the time is having to pick between the better of two options? I had to decide between the two and I picked Jerusalem. Hands down I picked Jerusalem. But I felt sick about deserting my team like that.

Yesterday I found out that my xtax team won at nationals. It killed me that I wasn’t able to be with them. It was similar to the feeling you’d get if your sports team won a championship game, but you were injured and couldn’t play. Want to know something though? Jerusalem is worth it. I AM super proud of my teammates though. The fact that they managed to pull that off with four people is amazing.

Good job Douglas, Jeashua, Cameron, Jessica, and Professor Barrick! Thanks for letting me be a part of the team and teaching me so much!

No comments: