| {This was taken moments after we saw each other for the first time...I'm trying to act cool, but inside I'm dying} |
Gil and I only knew each other for a semester before he
served his mission. When he left we both decided we would just write as
friends—he would work his hardest out in the mission, and I would dive into the
world of dating back home. As simple as that sounded it was actually quite difficult. Trying to open up your
heart to other boys when it is locked on a certain someone who you may or may
not work out with in the end is very confusing.
But not a day went by that I didn’t think about him. And
before I knew it December 29, 2010 turned into December 18, 2012 and Elder
Marchant was no longer an Elder. As excited as I was for him to come home I was
also very nervous. I had no idea what to expect. And even though I kept telling
myself not to build expectations I would be lying big time if I didn’t say the
expectations and hopes were lingering in the air.
One of the hardest things when Gil came home was that I
didn’t really know how to handle the situation. I didn’t know many girls whose
missionaries had come home yet. I didn’t know whom to turn to for advice
because—even if I did know girls with missionaries—their situation was not
necessarily exactly like mine. There were a few things I think would have been
nice to know and these are some of them:
1.
Be Patient. When Gil first came home we spent a
lot of time together during that first week…but we both felt something was
wrong. Together we decided to take a step back and give him some time to get
his feet on the ground. He went on a few
dates, got to know his ward and roommates and got a little bit of a life behind
him…
We decided that the only way to help him get adjusted back to normal life would be for us to not talk for a couple of weeks. Crazy, right? Voluntarily not seeing the boy I’d dreamed of seeing every day for two years. But as crazy as it sounded I knew it was something that needed to be done. A necessary evil. We originally planned on doing it for a month… but I couldn’t last that long (haha) so we cut it down to two weeks. When we got back together after those two weeks things were better.
We decided that the only way to help him get adjusted back to normal life would be for us to not talk for a couple of weeks. Crazy, right? Voluntarily not seeing the boy I’d dreamed of seeing every day for two years. But as crazy as it sounded I knew it was something that needed to be done. A necessary evil. We originally planned on doing it for a month… but I couldn’t last that long (haha) so we cut it down to two weeks. When we got back together after those two weeks things were better.
2.
Don’t feel pressure. Gil and I laugh because we
realize that all of my friends and all of his friends had already planned our
engagement, wedding, and first child for us without us having any say.
(Admittedly, that’s probably our fault for talking about each other to our
friends so much…). Don’t let anyone else tell you what is best for you. Obviously
its good to listen to their advice, but in the end do what you feel is best for
yourself.
3.
This one has to do with patience again. Remember
that you’ve been in the dating world for the past two years, but he has not.
Just remember that.
4.
If you and him don’t work out it’s not the end
of the world. It’s a heartbreaking
thought, I know. But try to focus on the good things that came from your
experience.
5.
Have fun. Yes, It’s good to talk about where you
guys stand now that he is back, but if that’s all you ever talk about then
you’ll feel emotionally exhausted after a while. Do fun stuff like go on group
dates, play games, and other wonderful activities.
6.
Let him talk about the mission. This one isn’t
too hard ‘since I’m actually pretty interested. I’d spent two years day
dreaming about what he was doing so to be able to hear him talk about it is
really fun. Their mission means a lot to them…so always be willing to listen
when they just wanna talk about it.
7.
Remember that every relationship is different.
When he comes home it may or may not click right away. Some girls get engaged
to their missionaries two weeks after they come home and some don’t get engaged
for a year after…and some never get engaged to him. Try not to compare your
relationship to anyone else’s because yours is your own and everyone is
different.
That’s it for now. I’m still pretty new with all of this.
Still in the middle of it actually. I have no idea where he and I will end up.
But I gotta say, having him back is the greatest. Sometimes I take a step back and realize that he is finally home, the countdown
is done, and the thought makes me one happy girl.
10 comments:
I know this won't be the last time I read this post. Thanks for the beautiful thoughts and advice Sarah Jane!
oh my goodness in a month i will be in your same spot and im so glad you wrote this. it is definitely going to help me a TON. my missionary and i also only knew each other for a semester before he left and im so excited yet nervous for him to come home.
thirteen days for me SJ. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I LOVE AND APPRECIATE THIS POST.
number four. that right there is the most important. focus on the good and hope for the best. sometimes the best comes in a different form than you expected, sometimes it comes just how you wanted it to, either way see the good in the situation. so excited to see what happens for you two!
AHHHH loving everything about this post!! Seriously, thank you!! 37 days.... #notthati'mcountingoranything
I'm sorry I've contributed to the pressure by betting on your engagement .... I love how happy you are! I turn to who ever is sitting by me in the lobby and say "Look how cute my roommate and her missionary who's back from his mission are!" Love ya!
Whaaaat? they actually come back? It feels really far away most days.. Anyway, I love this :) and good luck.
Let him talk about the mission. THAT IS so important! I LOVE when my husband tells me mission stories. Uhhmmm I'm excited to learn alllll about this lil' love story you got going right now.
ok i know ive already commented on this, and this may be weird, but i just wanted to thank you so much for sharing this. im about 99.9% in the same position as you and i read this about once a week. it has comforted me and helped me so much. yeah, that sounds weird. sorry haha but thanks.
Post a Comment