We bought the Polar Express a few weeks ago, wrapped it up, and patiently waited for the second FHE of the month of December to arrive before we could open it and read it. I fell in love with the tradition the moment we sat under the tree and took turns reading every other page. Along the way we decided some rules of the tradition that we will make sure every Marchant kid knows and follows
The rules are as follows:
1.
The Christmas book must be read during the
second FHE of the month of December.
2.
The Christmas book must be wrapped before
reading.
3.
You must be three years old before you can
unwrap, and the order of unwrapping shall go from oldest to youngest every year.
4.
Cookies and hot chocolate shall be present every
year of the reading. Other treats are allowed as well.
5.
A picture must be taken each year of the
Marchant family before they read the book (with the book in hand). The picture will then be taped
inside the front cover of the book.
6.
There can only be one picture taken—too bad if
someone closed their eyes or fixed their hair in the middle of it. EXCEPT if
mom or dad want to take another picture, in which case we will continue to take
the picture until parents are satisfied.
7.
The book must be read with passion—giving each
character a unique voice.
8.
When the book is finished mom and dad will give
each other a kiss.
I can already imagine our teenage kids groaning at some of these rules...heh heh heh!!!
p.s. I wanted to have rule 6, but then we had to keep taking pictures because our self-timer would go off before I could get situated...which is why we added "except if mom or dad wanted to take another picture" part :)
3 comments:
My word. I can't wait for you guys to have kids. Love this tradition and love YOU!
You guys couldn't be more cute!!
Hahaha! This is great! I might have to steal this tradition :) (And i love how you're already anticipating what your teenage children will do.)
Post a Comment