3.29.2011

A Poem I Wrote in Memory of the Season --SJ


There are many things I’ll remember about this great fall,

One of those things includes BYU Basketball.


It was October the 29th, or better yet, a Friday.

Little did we know a thrilling season was headed our way.

To start off was the exhibition game, not many were there,

But we were at the game to show that we really did care.


For the home opener we got there early, wearing our white and blue

I didn’t have time for dinner so I snuck in a sandwich or two.

I sat fourth row because of my great friend Gil,

We watched with excitement as the other team we did kill.


Thanksgiving brought the tournament down in South Padre,

I listened on the radio as we battled on its bay.

We tried real hard to find the channel so we could watch it on TV,

It was nowhere to be found, it just wasn’t meant to be.


In December there was a game in our Capitol City

We traveled up to see it feeling fine and rather giddy.

At the game I looked up to see Gil and I on the big screen,

Getting on the jumbotron was what I’d wanted ever since I could dream.


As the season progressed we continued to win,

Just ask Michelle, speaking bad about Jimmer became a huge sin.

Jimmer led us to victory against SDSU,

We watched it for FHE and when we won we all said, “Few!”


The big man on campus became Jimmer Fredette

Can he make a thirty footer? You better believe it!

Because of this boy BYU came to be a winner,

I just have one request: teach me how to Jimmer?


We were on top of the world, final four headed our way,

Until that sad, solemn, and quite necessary day.

We said good-bye to Davies, but respect him we still did,

Brandon was no longer on the team; everyone sure did miss that kid.


To get into a game was hard, people camped out all week long,

Everyone tried to get in, not watching them play felt so wrong.

My friends and I got turned away game after game after game,

No matter how hard we tried the results still stayed the same.


There was a time we tried to go rather quite early,

Thinking, “This time we will get in quite surely!”

However, we got side tracked by people giving out free food,

We barely missed the cutoff and were not in a happy mood.


We were ranked pretty well, to be exact number three

Just the place we had always wanted to be.

Then we lost to New Mexico, a team not so fine,

And we got bumped up to somewhere close to number nine.


For the last home game I arrived four hours prior

This was it we were coming to the end of the wire.

We did a flash mob it was really pretty great.

Alas, I left at halftime my work just could not wait.


I watched on my birthday as we started off the madness,

Sharing the day with them filled my heart up with gladness.

We won the game easily, next stop thirty-two,

I watched that game with my mom and other friends wearing blue.


Sweet sixteen here we come! First time in many years!

Everyone was crying those happy happy tears.

Off I and and the roommates headed to the BYU Marriot,

No tickets were purchased or needed to be bought.


There we were watching it on the big screen,

They let me take in food so this time I wasn’t feeling lean.

I watchced as BYU took shot after shot after shot,

They weren’t quite going in as I’d hope they ought.


After my teeth clenching and much nail biting,

BYU was still in the game as they continued fighting.

The clock soon read zero, zero, zero,

Jimmer Fredette tied it up with a three, he is our hero.


We went into overtime that’s where it all ended,

To say the season was great need not be pretended.

We were proud of our boys, they fought well and hard

They came a long way from playing in their backyard.


The BYU Basketball season of twenty-ten to eleven

Will always be one that is remembered up in heaven.

--Sarah Jane Curtis

No comments: