5.14.2011

My contribution to FHE

Every Sunday my family goes around and says something we learned during the week and/or something good that happened to us. I would like all of my family members to know that if I was home tomorrow I would dominate the discussion. I learned a lot this week and I had many good things happen to me.

What I learned:
  • Never buy six bag of groceries including a gallon of milk when you live farther than a half mile away from home. Your circulation in your fingers will cut off on the walk home.
  • A lot of people think they have the answer to everything
  • I was very lucky in Provo when it comes to proximity of things. It takes an hour for me to get to work every day out here.
  • Remember when people said, "Once you get out of high school age doesn't matter"? That does not apply to the east coast. Every one out here thinks Alisha and I are babies, but I think they are getting used to it.
  • Working nine hours a day is exhausting
  • Living costs a lot of money
  • I don't think I gave my friends who left home to go to college or my friends who are on missions enough credit. Being away from home and working all day is mentally draining.
  • You can find a friend in people you wouldn't have expected it from
  • Being optimistic about a negative situation will make the experience twenty times better and sometimes it helps to just laugh about it.
  • Not having a car makes things VERY hard to get places (especially when everything is far away)
  • The amount of energy I put into this experience will either make me love being an intern on the hill or hate it. Let's shoot for "love it".
  • If someone bugs you it isn't 100% their fault. Sometimes it is your fault.
  • I learned A TON OF new facts about the capitol, but if you want to hear it you will have to come out to DC so I can give you a tour of the capitol :)
  • How a Senator of the United State's staff operates.
  • Humidity is a deathly deathly thing. There is no purpose in trying to make my hair look good. However, today I went on a run and between the mix of humidity and rain it felt like I was running through mist. Pretty awesome feeling.
  • How a metro system operates. I dominate the underground.
  • Enya makes the world a better place

Good things that happened to me:

I already wrote about meeting a Supreme Court Justice and the dome tour so here are a few other things

I know for a fact I got the best staff on the senate side of the hill. Every Wednesday we make green jello and allow constituents to come talk to the Senator. It was a hit on the hill and even made front page of the politico!


I had like three of those little jello shots.

On Thursday the staff took three of us interns to get "Seventh Hill". It was authentic italian pizza and in the words of a coworker, "If God were a pizza, he'd be seventh hill pizza".

Every Friday we have cookie Friday where we invite another senator's office to come eat cookies and tour our office. I, being an intern, got the privilege of making the cookies. It was awesome except every time I took a batch out of the oven I had to eat one to make sure they tasted okay. darn.

We also went out as an office and saw a Nats game. My first major league baseball game!!! The field was green, the lights were bright and the hot dogs were tasty. The staff from the office is pretty young, and if they aren't young in age they have the great ability of acting young. The highlight of the night was when we all got on the HUGE jumbo-tron.

Between the interns and the staff we have a bunch of great personalities mixing together. It was a party. After the game we went to china town and treated ourselves to some frozen yogurt. The place we went to was no yogurtland, but it will suffice.

After two weeks of waiting and trying to be patient I got a letter! scratch that. TWO letters came from a boy SJ thinks very highly of :) It made her very happy.

1 comment:

sue said...

So many great insights to share! If it makes you feel any better, its pouring rain here too so your hair would suffer the same fate. Love you!