10.21.2014

Sneak Peak

I had a very specific pattern in mind for the coat I wanted to make, but could not find anything that even resembled it! (C'mon Simplicity, Butterick, McCalls, and Vogue...you all need better coat patterns for little girls).
The inspiration for my coat. I searched the internet for hours trying to find a similar fabric because I love it so much.
Also, I love the neckline, the pleats, and I love that you can't see the buttons when it is closed

Determined to make this coat I finally decided to draft my own pattern. This endeavor was problematic because normally when I sew I try the clothes on myself throughout the sewing process...this coat was for a toddler and Gil and I won't have one of those for a few years....so....I still have no idea if this even fits the way it should :/ (though I did babysit a 2 year old the other day and forced her to let me try one of my muslins on her)

Next problem was that I don't know how to draft patterns! I took a class in high school, but don't remember anything from it (I wish I could...). This project took a lot of muslin trial and errors. It also included many hours of unstiching, watching YouTube videos made by people that don't speak English as their first language, and required much patience on my part


It still isn't quite done, but it is close enough to take a semi-normal picture! I am going to make another one, but this time there are a few changes I will definitely make.

PS the fabric is wool, though it kind of looks velvity in this picture

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow- this turned out great! you could totally start a business making these cute coats!

Erica Tanner said...

SOOOOO cute. I would buy this coat for me or my future daughters/nieces!

Marcieparson said...

WOW sj! This is adorable! I am so impressed. And I would buy one of these.

Unknown said...

Hi you're amazing! I am seriously impressed. You go girl!

McKenze Bauer said...

This is amazing! Teach me your ways!!

Hailey Josephine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hailey Josephine said...

SSOOOOO CUTE !!!! I want that for my little girl :)